In the aviation business, pilots go through a series of tasks at the beginning of every flight. It’s called the preflight checklist and it all happens before the plane ever leaves the tarmac. The idea is to ensure safety and make sure that nothing is accidentally left undone. Other industries could definitely benefit from the checklist mentality, and I consider crowdfunded board games to be among them.
For my own use, I’ve created something that I call the launch sequence. The launch sequence is a list of things that have to happen in order immediately after the Kickstarter campaign launches. It’s a long list of items, some of which are specific to the Highways & Byways Kickstarter campaign, but most of which are not.
For your use today, I’m going to share a generic launch sequence checklist that you can use so you know what to do in the hours immediately after your Kickstarter launches.
First 10 minutes:
- Hit the launch button.
- Copy the URL.
- Set up a redirect link on your website. For example, I use http://bywaysgame.com/kickstarter/ to always go to either a landing page or the campaign.
- Tweet the campaign link with a call to action.
- Pin the campaign tweet.
- Make a Facebook post with the campaign link with a call to action. (Bonus points if you use your personal page as well).
- Pin the campaign post.
- Post on any other social networks you use.
- Ask a few friends to retweet/share your social media posts. This increases visibility quick, which can help you break through social media noise.
- Update your social media bio links.
Next 20 minutes:
- Send an email to your mailing list with the campaign link and a clear call to action.
- Update the home page of your website with the campaign link and a clear call to action.
- Text your family.
- Text your friends.
- Post the FAQ – which you have hopefully pre-written.
Next 30 minutes:
- Send any last-minute press releases.
- Monitor and respond to comments and questions.
- Update any old Kickstarter campaigns.
- Get your game on this Board Game Geek geeklist.
Hours after launch:
- Post to relevant Facebook groups.
- Post to relevant parts of Board Game Geek.
- Post to relevant subreddits on Reddit.
This is a generic launch sequence. When you create your own, you’ll invariably add items to this. You might even take some away. For example, my own launch sequence involves immediately posting the Kickstarter campaign link on my Discord server to over 1,100 other game developers. I’ll also be doing text message alerts to people who opted in during the Byways campaign build-up, sending an email to blog readers, and posting a story on the gigantic @WarMachinesCo Instagram account.
You’ll definitely need to prepare well in advance too, since many of these items come with requirements, such as being listed on Board Game Geek or building a mailing list.
Most Important Highways & Byways Updates
- 3 days to the campaign – sign up to get an email before it goes live!
- Last week, I gave away a copy of Codenames. This week, it’s a copy of Sushi Go. If you want it, you’ve got a little over 24 hours after this post goes up to get it on the Highways & Byways Facebook page.
- You can view the Kickstarter campaign page here.